The church has its distant roots in a group of ‘Dissenters’ in the seventeenth century, Christians who were Protestant but did not agree with or want to worship in the Church of England.
At the tail end of the Wesleyan revival in the late eighteenth century, a young man from London, Thomas Oxenham, was invited to preach at Welwyn and his labours resulted in Bethel Independent Chapel being founded in 1792.
This met until the 1950s in what is now a private bungalow on Hobbs Hill, Welwyn. The church grew from the 1950s and the buildings now in Fulling Mill Lane were built to accommodate the expanding fellowship. We are still an independent church and still worship in these buildings today.